If your dream is to become an inspirational English teacher, then our outstanding Yorkshire Wolds Teacher Training programme is the course for you. Studying at YWTT gives you a fantastic start to your teaching career, our innovative programme blends evidence based research and educational theory with immersive practice in the classroom, giving you the opportunity to gain QTS and a PGCE awarded by Sheffield Hallam University.
The YWTT English programme has been coherently designed and sequenced to support you to develop the skills and knowledge required to become a highly effective, evidence informed teacher, able to change the lives of the children you teach. It contains three overlapping components delivered through integrated strands.
- Learning to teach
- Professional Studies Programme
- School Based Training Programme
- Learning to teach a subject
- Subject Immersion Programme
- School Based Subject Training Programme
- Learning to be a teacher
- Professional Development Programme
- Supported Self Study Programme
The professional studies programme is delivered by teaching experts some of whom work for national education organisations including the Education Endowment Foundation.
You will work closely with your YWTT tutor, an excellent teacher who will support your development throughout the course. They will meet with you weekly to gain a deep understanding of your specific needs and progress, allowing them to design and deliver bespoke intensive training placements in their school.
School placements are carefully structured to ensure the gradual development of your teaching across both primary Key Stages. Spending Monday to Thursday in school allows you to continually apply and refine your developing knowledge and skills. Your mentor in each placement school will support you daily, giving you regular formative feedback through observation and weekly mentor meetings. They also work closely with your tutor to design and deliver the school based training programme.
Our English course covers all areas of the curriculum with sessions including :
- Current developments in the teaching of English
- How to design and deliver a sequence of well-structured and engaging English lessons underpinned by robust evidence based research.
- How to teach all aspects of English Language and Literature.
- The consolidation and extension of your subject knowledge.
- The development of literacy and oracy within the English Curriculum.
As an English teacher, you will be instrumental in opening up the timeless power of language to your pupils, encouraging them to be analytical, creative and imaginative.